Grief is a natural part of life when someone we love dies. Finding your way after a death may be difficult. You don’t have to do it alone. Hospice of Kankakee Valley (HKV) has helped many of people through their grief journey.
Here are some of the ways HKV can help:
- The Bereavement Program
HKV’s bereavement counselor is highly skilled and specially trained to assist those who have suffered a loss as they journey through the grief process. The bereavement programs are open to families of hospice patients as well as other grieving members of the community. A member of our bereavement team is available to speak with you about your loss. The bereavement team is also available to speak to business and community groups about grief and coping with loss, including workplace grief and issues involving child grief.
- Bereavement Support Groups
These groups are open to anyone in the community who has experienced the death of a loved one within the last year. We offer separate groups for adults, children, and teenagers. We also offer a series of different specialized groups throughout the year. Check our calendar page for dates and times, or call (815) 939-4141 and ask to speak with a bereavement counselor. Below are the ongoing adult support group we have all year long.
- 1st Tuesday of every month at HKV at 10:00am located in the counseling room
- 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month at HKV at 6:00pm located in the counseling room.
- Children’s bereavement counseling
Our bereavement counselor specializes in working with children through this difficult and sometimes confusing time. Whether or not the child has had an experience with a loved one on hospice, we are here to help the entire community, regardless of their circumstance. Our counselor can provide individual counseling in the school setting, home, or in our main office. Please call for more information.
- "Helping on your Journey" is focused on helping children (5-11yrs) to cope with losses of loved ones in a peer support environment. The eight-weeks sessions occur on Saturdays from 10:00-11:00am to be more user friendly for families. During the eight sessions, we encourage participants to tell their stories of loss, learn how to cope with emotions related to grief, and encourage sharing memories of their loved ones. Here session dates for summer 2016
- Helping on Your Journey (for children) Fall Sessions
- Teen Grief Support Group
- Adult Grief Support Group: Coping with Emotions in Grief
2016 Bereavement Events
- March 29th – Candlelight Memorial – Bethel Baptist – 7pm
- June 5th – Tree of Life & Memory Garden Recognition
- September 18th- Legacy Tree Plant
- November 8th- Sharing Stories of the Season
Please call our office at 815-939-4141 for more details concerning these events and all support groups.